Goals: Setting, Tracking, Measuring and Achieving! (Ep 92)Sep 20, 2022
Jump into a quick session on goals.
As small business owners, when it comes to goals, we either set goals or we don't.
If you fall into the camp of not setting goals, you are totally normal! There are many more of us who don't set goals than those of us that do.
If you don't set goals, either you don't know where to start, or you feel like it's a bit fraudulent, or maybe you've set goals in the past and haven't met them. You're feeling discouraged and don't see the point.
No matter why you decide not to set goals, today's conversation is for you.
Setting a goal is more than just throwing out a number and hoping it that might happen. We need to be intentional with how we arrive at that goal and we need to be intentional on how we actually create a plan to accomplish the goal we put in place.
You absolutely deserve to set goals and you absolutely should set goals in your business.
A goal is just an idea of where we want to be in the future. It's a projection and it's not set in stone.
If we don't set goals in our business, we're not being intentional about where we want to go with our business.
Here's my goal-setting practice for you:
- Go ahead and write down your biggest wins. List your top accomplishments for the past 6 months.
- Where were you 6 months ago?
- What's changed in your business since then?
- What were some of your greatest successes?
- What have you been most proud of?
- What's your current financial status? Where are you compared to 6 months ago?
- Write down your observations about your biggest wins and your financial status. What are you feeling when it comes to each of those?
- Write about what your previous goal activity has been. Have you ever tried to set goals? Have you tracked your progress?
- Now, let's get down to your numbers. What does it cost to operate your business? Write these things down, then circle everything that's an expense EXCEPT for inventory.
- After you've circled everything, add it all up to see what it's costing you to run your business for a month. From that number you'll start to see your breakeven - and from your breakeven, you can start to set goals.
- Grab your original sheet of paper, look at who you are as a person and consider what you need to do to meet the goal you've just determined. Put a plan into place: a goal for personal development, a sales goal and a plan for bringing the two together.
In my mastermind group, we work on goal setting for the year ahead. Interested in learning more about the Profitory Mastermind? Book a call with me and will discuss the best fit for you and your business!
Please always also feel free to get in touch by emailing me at [email protected].
Here's a glance at the episode:
[2:39] "Setting a goal is more than just throwing out a number and hoping it that might happen. We need to be intentional with how we arrive at that goal and we need to be intentional on how we actually create a plan to accomplish the goal we put in place."
[3:58] Ciara walks through an important goal-setting practice.
*Don't forget to leave a review of the episode on your favorite streaming service.
More About the Episode Sponsor:
Harquin Boutique Bookkeeping - Don't let your numbers overwhelm you!